Thursday, June 2, 2011

"Graham Cracker" crust

Earlier this week I made a cheesecake to take to a family event. My nephew has eaten at a few gluten free restaurants and has eaten gluten free things at family gatherings. He told me that this cheesecake was "the best gluten free food" he'd ever had. That was a huge compliment! My smarty-pants husband retorted, "This isn't normal." He's also the one who steals my GF pretzels and finishes off the bag!

Here's what I used to make the crust:
1/2 Kinnikinnick's Graham style crackers
1/2 Kinnikinnick's Animal Cookies

Both are available HERE or possibly at your local gluten free retailer.  I got them at Sun Harvest in San Antonio. Or maybe it was the HEB at 281 & 1604. Both have a good selection of Gluten Free foods.

I didn't measure (sorry) but used enough in the blender until I had 1 1/2 cups of crumbs. Add 5-6 T melted butter/margarine and 1/4 cup sugar. Bake at 350 F for 8-10 minutes.

The cheesecake recipe I used was on this website: http://www.joyofbaking.com/Cheesecake.html
I did change the recipe slightly by using whole milk (we were out of cream) and 40 oz. cream cheese (5 blocks instead of 4). Also, I used one pack Greek Yogurt and then made up the rest of the cup of sour cream for the topping.

Today I made Key Lime pie and needed another Graham Cracker style crust. I didn't have enough of the animal cookies or graham style crackers, so I tossed in some Corn Chex (only use Chex brand unless you KNOW your brand is gluten free---most are NOT) and some almonds. It tastes really good, once I get it out of the pie plate. Unfortunately, the Pampered Chef Pie Plate stone I used isn't seasoned well yet & I should have used some oil on it. OOPS!

Let me know if you try this and how it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment